Monday, February 14, 2011

Japanese Lesson 45: particle "ni" に 英語の「に」

Vocabulary you will need for this lesson:

いえ
house

言う
いう
to say (past tense 言った is pronounced "yoota", not "eeta")


みず
water


なべ
pot

入れる
いれる
to put

電話
でんわ
telephone

ください
please

--------------------------

the particle "ni" に is used to express that the action is doing something towards or to the object. In English the object comes after the verb. In Japanese it comes before the verb. In this respect you have to think "backwards" when translating from English to Japanese.


Examples:

今夜は友達の家に行く。
こんや は ともだち の いえ に いく。
I'm going to my friend's house tonight.

昨日、彼に言った。
きのう かれ に いった。
I told him yesterday.
(I told it to him yesterday)

水を鍋に入れた。
みず を なべ に いれた。
I put water in the pot.
(I put water in to the pot)

明日、私に電話してください。
あした わたし に でんわ して ください。
Please call me tomorrow.
(please call to me tomorrow)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to ask questions here. I will usually answer within one day.